Dr. Brett E. Garland
- PhD, Criminal Justice, 2007, University of Nebraska
- MS, Criminology and Criminal Justice, 2001, Indiana State University
- BS, Criminology with Philosophy Minor, 1997, Indiana State University
CRM 210 Introduction to the American Criminal Justice System
- CRM 701 Criminal Justice Policy
- CRM 773 Offender Thinking and Decision Making
- Three years as a program coordinator specializing in reentry services with the Indiana Department of Correction
- One year as a social worker in a juvenile group home
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences Liaison to the American Probation and Parole Association
- American Probation and Parole Association Research Committee Member
- Grant Reviewer for the National Institute of Justice
- National Institute of Corrections: Community Corrections and Academic Planning Workgroup Member
Research and professional interests
Dr. Garland is the Head of the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice and coordinates undergraduate certificates on criminal investigations and terrorism and national security. He has published articles and book chapters that cover topics on stress and burnout in the criminal justice system, behavioral strategies in correctional settings, prisoner reentry, and public opinion on crime and justice issues. Dr. Garland formerly served as a pre-release coordinator with the Indiana Department of Corrections and currently sits on the Board of Directors for the American Probation and Parole Association.
Awards and honors
- Exemplifying the Missouri State Experience through Student Engagement, Missouri State University Board of Governors, 2012
- Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award, Graduate College, Missouri State University, 2011
- Outstanding Online Course Award, Missouri State University, 2011
Areas of expertiseCriminology
Formerly Incarcerated Individuals and the Challenges of Reentry
Social Work Today
Criminal justice expert Dr. Brett Garland addresses the challenges of reentry for incarcerated individuals.
Armed with 25 years of Data, MSU Professors Begin to Map Domestic Violence
Criminal justice expert Dr. Brett Garland talks about project to map trends of domestic violence across the state.
Whom Would Jesus Lock Up? How Christians View Crooks
Criminal justice expert Dr. Brett Garland shares study about how view of God affects support for prisoners reentry into society.