Family and Juvenile Support Services Undergraduate Certificate

Help youth facing legal issues

Ready yourself for a growing need in criminal justice: juvenile support.

This certificate focuses on juvenile delinquency – unlawful conduct by minors (people under 18 years of age).

Gain specialized training on modern families, youth and the legal situations they can face.

Careers and outcomes

In juvenile support, you can do rewarding work that changes lives.

You can boost your career options for fields such as:

  • Case manager/social work
  • Community and non-profit programs
  • Family support services
  • Juvenile justice
  • Youth advocacy

Family and Juvenile Support Services

This certificate is jointly offered by the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Gerontology, School of Teaching, Learning and Developmental Sciences, and School of Criminology and Criminal Justice. It is designed to provide students with the specialized training for working with families in legal contexts especially in the area of delinquency. Students who complete this certificate will better understand the nature of modern families and adolescents and the issues they deal with related to juvenile delinquency.

This certificate is administered by the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Gerontology.

Admission requirements

Completion of at least 60 hours and a GPA of 2.50 or higher.

Program requirements (12 hours)

  1. One course on introduction to families from: CFD 163(3), CFD 361(3), SOC 315(3).
  2. One course on youth/adolescent studies from: CFD 505(3), CFD 557(3), PSY 441(3).
  3. One course on delinquency from: CRM 330(3), SOC 332(3).
  4. One elective course from: CFD 562(3), CRM 325(3), SOC 310(3), SWK 370(3).
  5. All candidates must satisfy the General University Certificate Requirements.

Completion requirement

Attain a GPA of 2.50 or higher for all courses used to fulfill the certificate requirements.

Choose your certificate

  1. Become a Bear: Apply to Missouri State (if you're not already a current student).
  2. Contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center to declare a certificate in family and juvenile support services.