Honors Program

There are two levels of membership in the Honors College at Missouri State. The first is general honors, which applies to general education coursework, and the second is departmental distinction in your major. You may stop after completion of the general honors and still receive all privileges of the Honors College, as long as you maintain the required 3.25 GPA.

Departmental distinction

Once you have completed the general honors requirements, you may choose to earn departmental distinction in criminology through an additional 12 hours of honors coursework. To earn departmental distinction in criminology, you must meet all the requirements of the General Honors Degree and meet the following requirements:

  • Be a member in good standing of the Honors College
  • Complete at least 12 hours of honors coursework in the criminology program
  • Complete a senior project in criminology

Honors coursework

Fulfilling the 12 hours of additional honors coursework can be completed in three ways:

  1. Take a designated honors section of an existing course
  2. Make a regular course into an honors course by adding a one-hour honors component
  3. Complete your senior project and receive between three and nine hours of credit

Adding an honors component to an existing course requires a written agreement between you and the faculty member who teaches the course. Official forms for this agreement are available from the Honors College office or your honors advisors. This form must be completed and approved by the department head before it is submitted to the Honors College office and prior to registering for the course.

Senior project

Your senior honors project may be started no earlier than the first semester of your junior year and must be completed prior to graduation. You may receive between three and nine hours of credit for your project.

Consult with a faculty member, specifically one who has expertise in the area you wish to further study, to develop the idea and content of your project. To begin your senior project, you must create a typed proposal and receive approval of the project from your project advisor, department head and the director of the Honors College.